Start Date: May 1rst
End date: May 31rst
Workout - We'll workout for 5-6 days a week.
- 5 days of Cardio (walking/running/aerobics/swimming/etc) - minimum 30 mins
- 3 days of strength training. For strength training you could do it at a gym or at home or do Calisthenics exercises that use body weight ala Madonna. Calisthenics are simple exercises which do not use weights - crunches, sit ups, squats, lunges, etc all come under this one. There are a million more calisthenics exercises. Use your preferred search engine!
- You can substitute yoga / pilates that tones and strengthen the muscles giving the long, lean look in place of cardio or strength training. Or you could count gardening if its more than 20 mins of hard work. You are the best person to decide what works for you.
- If you have never worked out before, take it slow - 20 mins a day and work your way up from there.
This is important and you can't skip this. Portion sizes play an important role in weight loss and getting healthier a good way to track it is using calories consumed.
- We'll keep the total calories allowed for a day to be 1300-1400. If you are tall or of a bigger build, please find out how many calories you can eat to lose one pound a week.Use your favorite search engine.
- Divide each meal into approximately 300-400 calories
- Eat snacks - fruits or juices or herbal teas in between meals.
- There are lot of calorie tracking websites - TheDailyplate, fitday, sparkpeople, shape online journal etc. Select what works for you.If you don't want to create a journal, figure out how many calories you ate by checking online or on a book and make a note of it.
So what can we eat?? The food will be anti inflammatory - as it will help to cleanse the system as well as accelerate the weight loss.
- Grains (Brown rice, Amaranth, Quinoa, Buckwheat, Steel cut oats / old fashioned oats, Millet - ragi (fingermillet)/bajra(pearl millet)/white millet/African/kodo/Teff/etc are allowed.
- Fresh fruits - all except citrus fruits like grapefruits, oranges etc. No bananas. Lemons are allowed.
- Fresh veggies - twice everyday (check for the NO list of veggies)
- Protein - Chicken and Fish are allowed; so are Lentils and beans. Eat protein atleast twice a day. Protein powder is allowed - You don't 'have to' eat it, but it is allowed if you want to include it in your diet. which brand? what type? - you choose what works for you. There are a million choices out there. I use this.
- Eat atleast one serving of raw greens a day - either in juice or smoothie or salads
- Ground flax seeds - 2 tbsp everyday
- EV coconut oil and grape seed oil for cooking, EV olive oil for salads. I'll leave it upto you to decide if you want to use sesame seed oil (definitely, not the toasted one).
- Unsalted nuts and seeds are allowed in moderate amounts
- Condiments- sparingly, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, naturally fermented soy sauce or tamari, culinary herbs
- Sweetener - just a tad of honey / agave /stevia /molasses - just a tad!
- Dairy - Not recommended. But if you must have it, then stick to yogurt / kefir.
- Drinks - water, herbal teas, fresh juices, lemon water, almond milk, rice milk, coconut milk, diluted unsweetened apple juice, coconut water etc
- Drink 2-3 liters of water a day
- Slow down, Take time to eat well, chew, esp, the grains. :)
No sugar/sugar substitutes, preservatives, additives, etc
No dairy (milk, cheese, sour cream, butter, cream etc)
No red meat and cured meat
No corn and corn products
No veggies list [tomatoes, eggplant, white potatoes, bell peppers]
No bananas or dried fruits
No caffeine - Coffee/Black tea
No fried foods
Where to find recipes
Think creatively. You'll surprise yourself with your ideas. You can also check out the blogs on the Left side menu under 'Food that's Good for you' - especially Kim, Ricki, Meghan, Naomi, Kelly, Susan and Ali & Tom. They have a lot of recipes that you can use. And Elana who uses almond flour in her cooking, has lovely crackers too. And check out the recipes mentioned on this blog as well.
How do we keep track
Please post about your daily intake/workout/total calorie consumed on your blog or leave a comment in mine if you don't have a blog. All works. This will motivate you to keep going and others too. Please do post about the total pounds lost at the end of the journey on May 31rst. Would be lovely to see that and cheer on that.
If you want to remain anonymous, please pick up some random screen name what appeals to you. Its tough to talk to somebody who doesn't even want to share an imaginary name. ;)
:) I know a lot of people are already asking 'Can I add just this? I can't do without it!'
Sure, feel free to modify it. The more individualized a plan is, the better it will work out! The main idea is to shake the body up from its usual rut and also get in some workout. Just remember to stick to portion size, calorie count, working out, eating enough carbs/proteins/veggies/fruits.
Disclaimer - See left side menu. Join this diet-a-thon at your own will, knowing your health conditions and your body's response. When in doubt, consult a doctor.
Now, who wants to take charge of your health in May?