The house is well decluttered. There are still two cupboards to tackle but I'm proud of us for getting done with the first round of clutter. Took tons of stuff to Salvation army. All the recycle-able stuff that have been accumulating for the past two months are all out of the door. The balcony looks nice enough to make me want to have a reclining chair out there, but I'll wait till my kid(s) have grown up or when we get our own house and yard, whichever happens first! I cooked a lot of interesting stuff, tried Amaranth greens for the first time. TONS of veggies that I'm happy with my veggie intake these days. The three days a week, chiro appointments helped me very much and now I'm a lot better. I walk tall. Yes, I still measure the same 153 cm, but I feel tall! I also called a lot of friends from school, much to their squealing surprise :) and almost caught up with my mail backlog finally.
I ate grains in small portions for lunch or dinner if I really wanted to eat, didn't fuss about it. Ate an organic honey candy a couple of times, a small piece or two of kitkat, a small piece of son-papdi - on all different days. The weight is still the same - 130 lbs as of today morning though it did fluctuate one or two pounds up and back.
I had been thinking about my second goal. I initially wanted to do something else, which I had been postponing since I couldn't find something that I would need to go ahead with the second goal. I found it now but I changed my mind about the goal. I might do it later. Till then, that idea will be a suspense to my blog readers. :) Now you must be wondering what would the second goal be, after so much ado.
I want to try to lose another 5-10 pounds and also work on reducing my carb cravings. How??? You might ask. I want to do a modified South Beach diet. For two weeks. Absolutely no grains. Here's what I'll be doing. Anybody who wants to join in, are welcome.
- No grains - which No rice, wheat, oats, quinoa, ragi, millet, amaranth, spelt, rye, kambu/bajra, sorghum/jowar - just about any grain) and no grain products like rava, poha, bulgur, cracked wheat, rice flour, couscous, pasta etc etc
- No fruits other than berries and apples
- No sweeteners of any kind - That means No honey, agave syrup, jaggery, rapadura, any kinds of sugar, maple syrup, nothing! Stevia is allowed. No date syrup, dextrose, glucose, fructose, maltodextrin, corn syrup, rice bran syrup, sorghum syrup - Read the labels of everything that came from the store. (Sauces have a lot of sugar!)
- No dried fruits like dates, raisins, prunes, pineapple etc. Dried unsweetened berries are allowed.
- No corn starch, tapioca flour, arrow root powder, etc
- All lentils, peas, beans, bean flour.
- All meat, poultry and seafood - in decent portions.
- All nuts and seeds
- All veggies other than potatoes and yams. Sweet potatoes allowed in small portions.
- All greens
- All cultured drinks allowed - kefir, kombucha or homemade yogurt
- Good fats like Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, ghee, butter, etc. (preferably organic or all natural ghee/butter)
- You are welcome to eat soy and drink milk if you want to, I'll be refraining from them since I'm intolerant to milk and don't like soy (and intolerant too).
- Recipes/Ideas for food can be found here (My collection of Grainfree recipes that work for breakfast, lunch and dinner!).
- Try to get a workout everyday, if it's possible. Walk, Run, Skip, dance (yes, it counts!), kickbox, Swim, do yoga, strength training, pilates, just anything that would get you moving.
- Drinks tons of water - at least 3-4 litres.
- Portion control - eat decent portions and don't overdo.If you cover all the food groups mentioned above at regular small intervals, you wouldn't feel hungry or tired.
Disclaimer - I'm not a dietitian, nutritionist or a medical professional nor am I trying to play one here. Any suggestions given here are not substitute for medical advice by a professional or a dietitian. Follow this diet at your own risk.
July 18th to July 31rst. I'm giving this plenty of time just to be able to prepare stuff and load the freezer if I want to. Like I mentioned before, Anybody who wants to join in, are welcome. Just leave a comment here.